Secondary School-Curriculum and Assessment Updates: Term 1
We hope the term is progressing well for your children and that preparations are going well, as we approach the time of year when our internal assessments take place.
Please see the following documentation, providing information about the assessment procedures and dates for this academic year:
- • Secondary Assessment Policy (English and Arabic versions)
- • Breakdown of Assessments (dates and details) for Term 1 (for each Grade)
Please also see below some general updates and information for your (below):
Common Core Standards for Math and English
The school have made the decision to follow the Common Core US standards for Mathematics and English. This will not be noticed by most students as the key skills studied remain the same as the Virginia Standards followed previously, with the High School students already following the common core to support external SAT examinations.
The main impact of this change will be felt in the Middle School where this change will support the introduction of termly MAP testing (Measure of Academic Progress) which uses the common core standards. These tests help us to monitor and support student progress more effectively. Map testing will begin this term from the 13th November onwards.
Assessment and Reporting 2016-17
Assessment of students’ academic ability will be reported separately from effort and behavior on the future report cards, with student attainment being more closely related to the key academic skills, allowing students to be much clearer regarding what they need to do to improve. Students will receive a grade (A*-E) for their academic achievement in each subject, a number (1-5) for their effort and behaviour, in addition to their percentage for each subject, providing parents and students with more comprehensive and accurate assessment information.
I will be available to discuss these changes with you throughout the evening of our Parent Teacher Conference, next Thursday 10th November.
Mr. David Craig Evans
Vice Principal/Head of Secondary School
Secondary Assessment Policy
- Principal, Mr. Daniel Lee Bokelman:
- Vice Principal, Mr. David Evans:
- Head of Secondary, Mr. Darren Jones:
- Head of Primary, Mr. Duncan Silcock:
- Assistant Head Pastoral / SENCO / PODCO, Ms. Basma Iklil Sati:
- Assistant Head Curriculum and Assessment, Ms. Tracy Angela May:
- Head of ICT and Examinations, Mr. Ziyad Ashour:
- Student Guidance Counselor, Ms. Soha Hamze Bou Hamdan